Exploring Mokulua Islands

8:02:00 PM

Adventure time!
One of my favorite things to do is hike and explore cool, new, places. The first time I went to the "Mokes" was with my childhood girlfriend. 
View from the kayak
We borrowed a kayak from a friend and set off on our adventure. I had never been in a kayak before so it took me awhile to get used to rowing in sync or just rowing in general. Luckily, my friend is a pro and had made the trip many times before. She probably did most of the rowing for me.   
Exploring
I was very excited to finally reach the island. I felt like I was a child again and at any moment we would stumble upon lost pirate treasure or some other marvelous thing.
Perfect place for a photo
I forgot to mention that my husband paddled to the island on his surfboard as the kayak only fit two. I can't remember if it took 45 minutes to get to the island or 1 1/2 hours. Anyway, it was a long way and I'm sure his arms were dying by the end of it.
Why hello!
 Yep, there were lots of fun things to look at and see. I can't wait to come back with my son and go exploring.
Deep in discussions

Such a magical place it looks like a movie set
This is where we went swimming. This picture was taken when the tide was going out. When the tide comes in the water covers all the land and you have to clutch on the rocks on the mountain side to avoid getting taken out to sea. Well, at least on very big days. Luckily when we went to the island the surf wasn't that big. If the surf is big it can be pretty dangerous and I wouldn't recommend coming here.
So pretty!
Crashing Waves
An example of what I was talking about earlier. Water and waves rushing up and covering the rocks. Luckily the wave behind me is a smallish one.
Surveying the island

Where we jumped
At the back of the island is a fun spot where you can jump or dive into the water. You just have to wait for the tide to come in so that it's deep enough. After I jumped in (the first time) my girlfriend told me that the area around the "Mokes" is a tiger shark breeding ground so if you are scared of sharks you may want to stay on land. Had I known this crucial information before jumping in I probably wouldn't have done it but I'm glad I did because it was so fun. 
Hanging from the edge of the cliff   


 
My friend showing me how it's done. I haven't been back to the "Mokes" for awhile. I think it's time to make the trip.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Recent Posts

Recent Posts Widget
Copyright © 2016 Sita Strickland